On the whole the one meal that suffers when we are short on time is breakfast. If we have time for it at all it tends to be petty boring and repetitive. In fact many of us eat the same breakfast day after day. Imagine if all your meals were the same. Here's a recipe that takes a boring breakfast and makes it taste yummy. Porridge oats that taste like carrot cake. It may appear a little odd to begin with, but you will not regret giving it a go.
I've adapted this recipe from one I originally saw at www.dashingdish.com. It's a really great way to get a portion of veggies into your breakfast. Then there's a mixture of oats and yoghurt to make your breakfast really creamy I've also added in a portion of protein, something we tend to skip at breakfast.
The really great thing about this recipe is you make it all the night before. So if you're short on time in the morning you don't need to worry. Breakfast is already served.
What you need (serves 1):
- 100ml unsweetened almond milk
- 65g natural organic, goat or coconut yoghurt
- 25g carrot (approx 1 small) grated
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or more if you like it)
- 1/2 tsp ground all spice
- 65g porridge oats (I use ½ Rude Health sprouted oats and half organic oat bran)
- 15g pea protein powder (find out more here) (click here for the protein powder from the video)
- 1 tsp ground almonds
- 1 tsp organic honey
What you do:
- In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients together then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- I top mine with extra yoghurt, hemp seeds, fruit - whatever takes my fancy.