I had a request via Facebook from someone who had seen a few of my recipes. She wanted me to try a healthy version of apple crumble. So I did a little research and found a few recipes online. But they were all pants. So I came up with my own ... and it's far from pants. So, healthy apple pie. Let's dive in.
In fact, this recipe is sugar free, wheat free and you can make it totally vegan with one simple switch. If you find the totally sugar free version too sharp (you might be using sharper apples) you can add a little honey or maple syrup.
Take a look at the video to see how I made it, then all the details are below.
Sugar free apple crumble
What you need
- One large or two small apples
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 40g melted coconut oil
- 40g crushed pecan nuts
- 75g oat flour
What you do
- Pre heat your oven to around 200c.
- Peel, core and slice your apple(s) into small pieces.
- Put them in a bowl and add the nutmeg, lemon juice, vanilla extract and 1 tsp of the cinnamon.
- Cover the bowl and give it a shake to cover all the apple pieces with the mixture.
- In another bowl pour the melted coconut oil and add the pecans, oat flour and the other tsp of cinnamon.
- Mix all these ingredients together.
- With your apples in a baking dish, sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly over the apples.
- Bake for around 30 minutes or until the crumble turns brown.